The general management, care, control and supervision of the city water system shall be in the superintendent of water and sewage, who shall be appointed by the mayor with the consent of the governing body.

(Code 1960, 15-101; Code 1991, 16-101)

The furnishing of water to customers by the city through its waterworks system shall be governed by the regulations set out in this article.

(Code 1991, 16-102)

The city does not guarantee the delivery of water through any of its mains and connecting services at any time except only when its mains, pumping machinery, power service connection are in good working order, and the supply of water is sufficient for the usual demand of its consumers.

(Code 2007)

(a)   The owner of all houses, buildings, or properties used for human occupancy, employment, recreation, or other purpose, situated within the city abutting on any street, alley, or right-of-way in which there is now located or may in the future be located near public water mains, is hereby required at his or her own expense to make connection to such public water main.

(b)   Before any connection is made to the city’s water system an application must be made in writing to the city clerk by the owner of the premises, or his or her authorized representative, for a permit to make such connection.

(Code 2007)

(a)   Any person, firm or corporation desiring a connection with the municipal water system shall apply in writing to the city clerk, on a form furnished by the city for that purpose, for a permit to make the connection.

(b)   The application shall:

(1)   Contain an exact description including street address of the property to be served;

(2)   State the size of tap required;

(3)   State the size and kind of service pipe to be used;

(4)   State the full name of the owner of the premises to be served;

(5)   State the purpose for which the water is to be used;

(6)   State any other pertinent information required by the city clerk;

(7)   Be signed by the owner or occupant of the premises to be served, or his or her authorized agent.

(c)   Each application for a connection permit shall be accompanied by payment of fees and/or costs specified in section 15-207.

(Code 2007)

All taps shall be given, street excavations made, corporation cocks inserted, pipes installed from main to curb, and the curb cock installed in a meter box to which the service pipe is to be connected by city employees only.

(Code 2007)

The fees for connection to the city waterworks system shall be as follows:

(a)   For connecting water main with three-fourths inch tap, three-fourths inch service line and installing three-fourths inch meter - $650.00;

(b)   For connecting water main with larger than a three-fourths inch tap, service line or meter - $950.00.

(c)   Extraterritorial connections outside the city limits to the city waterworks system shall be billed to the customer at cost plus 10% regardless of service size.

(d)   Commercial connections to the city waterworks system shall be billed to the customer at cost plus 10% regardless of service size.

In addition to the fees in (a), (b), (c) and (d) above, the city shall charge its cost, including labor, for excavation and repair of a street when installing a connection to the water main.

(Ord. 632; Code 2016)

There shall be a curb cock in every service line attached to the city main, the same to be placed within the meter box. Curb cocks shall be supplied with strong and suitable “T” handles.

(Code 2007)

Check valves are required on all connections to steam boilers or on any other connection deemed necessary by the water superintendent. Safety and relief valves shall be placed on all boilers or other steam apparatus connected with the water system where the steam pressure may be raised in excess of 40 pounds per square inch.

(Code 2007)

It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation, other than duly authorized city officials or employees to turn water on or off at the water meter or curb cock shut off, with a key or in any other manner, without first obtaining written permission from the city.

(Code 2007)

(a)   All water furnished to customers shall be metered.

(b)   Meters shall be located between the sidewalk or property line and curbing when the main is in the street, and on private property within three feet of the alley line when the main is in the alley.

(c)   The city’s responsibility stops at the meter. Any work necessary past the meter shall be completed by a licensed plumber.

(Ord. 282, Sec. 1; Code 2007)

Meters shall be tested before being set and at any other time thereafter when they appear to be measuring incorrectly. If a test is requested by the customer and the meter is found to be accurate within two percent, the meter will be deemed correct and a charge of $25.00 will be made to the customer.

(Ord. 616, Sec. 1; Code 2007)

It shall be unlawful for any person to break the seal of any meter, to alter the register or mechanism of any meter, or to make any outlet or connection in any manner so that water supplied by the city may be used or wasted without being metered. It shall be unlawful for any person except an authorized employee of the water department to turn any curb cock on or off.

(Code 1982; Code 1991, 16-107)

No allowances shall be made for water used or lost through leaks, carelessness, neglect or otherwise after the same has pass through the meter. However, every customer shall have the right to appeal to the city from water bill or meter reading which he or she may consider excessive.

(Ord. 616, Sec. 2; Code 2007)

A fee of $25.00 shall be charged to reconnect a previously disconnected water service for the first reconnection in a twelve (12) month period. A fee of $50.00 shall be charged to reconnect a previously disconnected water service for a second reconnection in a twelve (12) month period. A fee of $75.00 shall be charged to reconnect a previously disconnected water service for the third reconnection in a twelve (12) month period. A fourth or subsequent reconnection in a twelve month period shall require a new $100.00 deposit as well as a $75.00 reconnection fee.

(Ord. 597; Code 2007; Code 2016)

At the time of making application for water service, the property owner or customer shall make a deposit in the amount and manner specified in section 15-104 to secure payment of accrued bills or bills due on discontinuance of service.

(Code 2007; Code 2016)

The city reserves the right to interrupt water service for the purpose of making repairs or extensions to water lines or equipment.

(Code 1982; Code 1991, 16-111)

It shall be a violation of this article for any unauthorized person to:

(a)   Perform any work upon the pipes or appurtenances of the city’s waterworks system beyond a private property line unless such person is employed by the city;

(b)   Make any connections with any extension of the supply pipes of any consumer without written permission to do so having been first obtained from the governing body;

(c)   Remove, handle or otherwise molest or disturb any meter, meter lid, cutoff, or any other appurtenances to the water system of the city.

(Code 2007)

Water users shall prevent unnecessary waste of water and shall keep sprinklers, hydrants, faucets and all apparatus, including the service line leading from the property to the meter in good condition at their expense.

(Code 1982; Code 1991, 16-113)

Authorized employees of the city may enter upon any premises at reasonable hours for the purpose of reading the meter or servicing or inspecting meters or water lines.

(Code 1982; Code 1991, 16-114)

The following rates are hereby established for water furnished by the City to premises within the city limits and those approved by the council outside the city limits:

(a)   Minimum, up to 2,000 gallons - $19.00

(b)   All in excess of 2,000 gallons - $3.00 per 1,000 gallons

(Ord. 616; Code 2007; Ord. 693; Code 2016)

The monthly charge for each user of the municipal system which is not located within the city limits of the City of Solomon, Kansas shall be an amount equal to twice the monthly charge incurred for such use by the users of the municipal water system located within the City of Solomon.

(Ord. 545; Code 2007)

All water bills for the previous month’s water service shall be paid on or before the 15th day of the month following the service. For any billing not paid when due a late charge of ten percent (10%) will be added to the bill.

(Code 2007)

Water service shall be terminated for nonpayment of service fees or charges as provided in sections 15-103.

(Code 2007)

No person owning or occupying premises connected to the municipal water system shall use or allow to be used during a fire any water from the water system except for the purpose of extinguishing the fire. Upon the sounding of a fire alarm it shall be the duty of every such person to see that all water services are tightly closed and that no water is used except in extraordinary cases of emergency during the fire.

(Code 2007)

No person shall establish or permit to be established or maintain or permit to be maintained, any cross connection whereby a private, auxiliary, or emergency water supply other than the regular public water supply of the city may enter the supply and distributing system of the city unless specifically approved by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment and the governing body.

(Ord. 469, Sec. 2; Code 1991; 16-122)

Approved devices to protect against backflow or back siphonage shall be installed at all fixtures and equipment where backflow and/or back siphonage may occur and where there is a hazard to the potable water supply in that polluted water or other contaminating materials may enter into the public water supply. Any situation in which a heavy withdrawal of water, such as a sudden break in the main or water being used from a fire hydrant, may cause a negative pressure to develop which could lead to back siphonage of polluted water into the system shall be improper and must be protected by approved backflow preventive valves and systems as determined by the superintendent.

(Code 2007)

The city utility superintendent or other designee of the governing body shall have the right of entry into any building or premises in the city as frequently as necessary in his or her judgment in order to ensure that plumbing has been installed in accordance with the laws of the city so as to prevent the possibility of pollution of the water supply of the city.

(Ord. 469, Sec. 4; Code 1991, 16-124)

Pursuant to the city’s constitutional home rule authority and K.S.A. 65-163a, the city by its utility superintendent may refuse to deliver water through pipes and mains to any premises where a condition exists which might lead to the contamination of the public water supply system and it may continue to refuse the delivery of water to the premises until that condition is remedied. In addition, the city utility superintendent may terminate water service to any property where the cross connections or back siphonage condition creates, in the judgment of the superintendent, an emergency danger of contamination to the public water supply.

(Ord. 469, Sec. 5; Code 1991, 16-125)

The owner of a house or building used for human occupancy situated within the city is hereby required at the owner’s expense to connect such premises to the municipal water system within ninety (90) days after official notice to do so from the board of health.

(Ord. 461, Sec. 1; Code 1991, 16-128)

No municipal water utility service shall be furnished or rendered free of charge.

(Ord. 369, Sec. 1; Code 1991, 16-129)